Sunday, February 5, 2012

Norton's & the Super Bowl

Ok so I suck at updating but I always feel bad cause I am the worlds worst picture taker and I feel like a lame when I don't have any pictures to accompany my blog. But my guilt outweighed that today so here I am.

Today, Sara and I went to the Mercado de Wanchaq (our neighborhood) and bought a bunch of vegetables and chicken and meat for food. My favorite part about here is how fresh and cheap everything is. She got so many fruits and veggies for so cheap and they're all grown by the people who live in the highlands so its just like quality, pesticide free, food.

They also eat cow tongues here. There were just cow muzzles chillen on stands like it was NBD. My host mom laughed at my reaction when she pointed them out to me. Being here has made me kinda wanna be a vegetarian simply cause raw meat is relatively terrifying. Like today when she got chicken it still had its little claws on and he just chopped them off. Idk it was weird. Its terrifying and cool at the same time. But when I was cooking at the Clinic for our Volunteerwork I had to slice up Turkey and cut the fat off and it still had it's weird furry and featherless skin. So I feel like if I can do that I can do anything.

After the mercado, we went to a restaurant with my host tia y tio and host abuelo and my host tios kids and obvi Sara and Julieta. I had Chicharrones and this really good soup. They also gave me Pisco Sours at 11:30am. I felt kinda like a bad ass. Did you know Pisco Sours are Peruvian? So remember that next time you order one and cheers in my honor! My host prima asked me what a bunch of words were in english. I really lucked out with such a welcoming family. They seriously are the best. But here they eat SO much for lunch I ate myself to a food coma and fell asleep for 3 hours once we got home.

When I woke up I got a text from one of my friends who said people were meeting at a pub to watch the game. I went cause I've done literally nothing this weekend and got a few drinks. I think I need to stick to drinking beer here cause I ordered a Long Island first and a White Russian second and neither were even close to as good as in the States. That's my opinion.

Also I didn't really pay attention to the game because unless the Vikings are playing I couldn't care less who wins. Sorry not sorry. Vikingz4lyfe. Even though they break my heart every season.

Anyway, tomorrow I have class at noon and after that I am absolutely DETERMINED to find the Salsa school here and take some salsa classes. I also wanna work out here and get used to the elevation so I can come home and working out can be a piece of cake. I'm not sure if that's how it really works but I'm gonna pretend it is....

Ciao besos,
Lizzy


No comments:

Post a Comment