Saturday, February 18, 2012

Futbol

Hola, short entry. First, I've been hearing how many people have read my blog and without sounding too pretentious I am really flattered. Thank you guys for reading and I'm glad so many people enjoy it.

I said this entry was gonna be short but then I remembered how much stuff I have to say so it probs won't be. So, sorry for lying heh. In one of my classes that's required for the program I went through (International Partnership for Service-work and Learning), our professor had these three guys come in and talk to us about some Non Governmental Organizations. They work in rural areas near Urubamba and help build greenhouses for different small communities in the mountains. They then teach the children how to grow vegetables in these green houses they otherwise couldn't. The children in these areas are often malnourished because all they eat is....are?...potatoes. So they grow a shit ton of vegetables to get some nutrients in their diet. A lot of NGOs in Peru go by statistics: "We have 73 green houses currently built." That all sounds great, 73 green houses! In reality, a lot of these communities use them to dry laundry, or to hold chickens, or use them for other things. This defeats the purpose and is a waste of money. So Alianza Andina (Andean Alliance) builds the greenhouse, hires a man who knows how to grow, and kind of just oversees everything so the people will be able to use this greenhouse and learn knowledge of growing plants for generations to come. These guys were really cool and smart...and cute HEH! We're planning on going out for a weekend to help. Or at least I am.

Anyway, that was a few weeks ago. Last night we went out to our bar of choice, Norton Rat's, and guess who we saw there? THE SAME GUYS! We chatted with them for a bit and then told them to come out with us but they were meeting friends. At least that's what they said. They're also in their mid to late twenties and probably didn't want to go dancing cause they're all adult like and run an NGO and stuff. I still have a crush on all of them. NOT ASHAMED.

Pensive Andy
Hoy, we had a partido de futbol against some men who outranked us. We got KILLED 8 to 1. I hate to say I'm competitive, but I am so much that it's ugly. I hate trying your hardest only to be schooled. Competitiveness is an ugly trait when you can't control it and I defs couldnt control mine today. Afterward, they sprayed us with foam and tried to pour water on us. It's some type of carnival here or something. I was like too crabby to enjoy it though. I'm such a DiVa. H8 myself sometimes.


HEATED

Also, that decorated tree is for some festival. Apparently, a bunch of couples dance around it and all use an axe to try to chop it down. Whatever couple lands the final blow and chops the tree down has to a.) pay for all the drinks and b.) plan the same party for next year. FUN, EH? For couples at least...ha. Anyway we didnt participate in the dancing and chopping of the tree, but like I said we did get foamed and water thrown at us. Today was fun and it's nice to be active and run around and play soccer again in a friendly environment.
All the kids and us!

ONE LAST THING! The football game was for the kids at the clinic that I volunteer for. They sat and watched us play. Well they came out after like an hour of playing but whatever...they were still having fun. I'm glad they got to change up their routine and go outside too it makes me so sad to know that really the only forms of entertainment they have is music, tv, books (they can choose from like 2), and having us power walk them down the long hallway at the clinic in their wheel chairs. This experience has definitely made me realize how lucky I am.
FOAMED
Lastly, a friend and I went to a spinning class at a gym near by and I'm hooked! Getting a membership Monday.

Also, vocab of the week: NARP- Not a real person. You can be a narp. Example: "Dude, he's a NARP for reaallss." Narping is also a verb. Example: "He's NARPIN' haarrrdd right now." Also, instead of saying "I can't" when you see something you just CAN'T deal with, say "No puedo."

Love ya mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment