Friday, January 20, 2012

LLLLUUUVVIIAAAAAAAAA

Hola a todos.

A shit ton of things happened today so I'm gonna segment it all.

Primero: La Universidad
We had orientation and got to meet all the students. There are actually thirty in total and most are doing homestays, I think. I heard there are only 8 in La Casa Don Ignacio aka the student apartments. La Casa Don Ignacio sounds cooler though. Soooo jah, that was fine. It's nice to be in the same boat with a bunch of other people. No one else was from good ol' Minny though and I'd be lying if I said I didn't try to play down my accent. YA DER AR SUM NYCE HAHT DISHES YA KNO! Otherwise I saw La Plaza del Armas which is like the main square is. I ate lunch with my host mom, Sari en la Plaza at Bembos. Its a hamburger joint. I seriously LOVE my host mom. I would be lost without such a nice lady taking care of me. Any way, La Plaza is damn BEAUTIFUL but I didn't have my camera with me like una idiota! So pix of that to come.

Segundo: Walking v. Taxi v. Buses
 I'm excited to actually be able to have a routine and not need my host mom to come get me and drop me off at school like a five year old. She only does this because I would probably get myself lost and robbed and beat up if I went alone. Why, you ask?! Or maybe you don't care why, but I'm gonna tell you anyway. You can either walk, take a taxi, or take a bus. Basically it's like playing kiss, marry, throw off a cliff using like Carrot Top, Ron Jeremy, or Gary Busey. For those of you who don't know what the game kiss, marry, throw off a cliff is, it's where you're given names of 3 hot or 3 terrifying people and you have to decide which one you'd kiss, which one you'd marry, and which one you'd throw off a cliff. And for those of you who don't know who Ron, Carrot, or Gary are....honestly I'm glad because they're seriously something from a nightmare. So choosing between a bus, taxi, or walking is like having your choices be Gary Busey, Ron Jeremy, or Carrot Top: All three are terrifying and even if you get to throw one off a cliff you're still left with two equally terrifying choices.
Walking would take hours, and the buses and the taxis are equally janky. A bus zooms up to you and a little kid is usually dangling out the side screaming 'Sube! Sube! Sube!' (from my understanding this means 'Come on/Get on'. If you hop on, you take the bus to wherever the street you need to be is and then pay the driver 70 centados and get off. My problems is I have no idea what the routes are or how to know when to get off the bus, also I have no clue how the hell addresses work around here. The bus costs 70 centados. 70 centados = like 15 cents.

It's kiiinddaa the same with the taxis, except less crowded, no yelling, more expensive, and it's common for the driver to try to give you fake money. A taxi cab one way costs 3 soles. 2.7 soles = 1 american dollar.

So I made my host mama write down the address of my school and the address of our house. She keeps telling me not to worry cause I keep asking her a bajillion questions but I'll be honest I'm worried as f*ck. Anyway, I'm sure I'm being a big baby. I'll figure it out and everything will be fine. I'm just overwhelmed.

Tercero: La Lluvia (The Rain)

For the second half of the day my host mama got me a taxi to get to school, but made me get a taxi for the way back all ALONE. Needless to say I was terrified. But I ended up taking a taxi with tres chicas from escuela and it was all fine-besides the terrential downpour of rain. I wish I could describe to you how. damn. rainy. it was/is! The streets were/are flooded up to my ankles! Luckily I made it home to my worrying host mom changed, had some cocoa tea (they drink this ish like water) it's really good though, and now ESTOY AQUI!

I have no pictures of the things you actually probably WANT to see (La Plaza del Armas, Incan walls the city uses still because they are in PERFECT CONDITION because they were made by ALIENS....jk....kinda..., my school, our sweet jackets etc.) but I do have pictures of me looking like a drowned rat and my jeans to prove the water was ankle deep. I also tried to take pictures of the outside but idk if they worked. Pero, I'm gonna try.


Me...lookin like a drowned rat.
Stepped in the street, in a puddle up to me ankles!

La calle outside the apartment! Water was everywhere

Un pobre hombre had a stalled out car. No one helped him they all honked! Poor man!
Finalmente, a kind of glimpse of Cuzco, the beautiful city I get to live in! I honestly hate myself for not taking more pictures. NO SE PREOCUPEN! I wont post again until I have some beauts for y'all to look at.
 
Annnyyywayyy muchos besos!
CIAO!

1 comment:

  1. BIDDLE!!!!!! I am SO JEALOUS of you!!! It seems like you're already having an amazing adventure, and you've only been there for a few days! I miss you like crazy, but I'm glad you're having a good time already! POST PICS OF YOUR HOST FAMILIA POR FAVOR! <3 <3 <3

    ~Ch.

    ReplyDelete