Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hello, friends!

As you all probably know by now, I´m studying abroad in Cuzco for the spring semester of 2012 so of course I decided to make a douchey study abroad blog! Hopefully I don´t come across as too entitled sounding. I am a whole mix of emotions. I guess I really have to bite the bullet and deal with them now that I´m here. I´m currently in Lima waiting for my third and final flight to leave and fly me to Cuzco where I will hopefully meet my host familia.

Let me start with the family I´ll be staying with! It is a younger couple (Jorge is 38 and Sara is 36) with two daughters (Lucia is 10 and Julieta is 4). I am seriously beyond excited. I´ve always been the younger sib so it´ll be really interesting to be a big sister for once! Jorge is an entrepreneur and a firefighter. What a badass! Sara is a secretary. I hope that they like me that´s the part I´m most nervous about.

I just spent five minutes trying to figure out how to save the picture on this computer but I honestly can´t. I feel like an old lady. I´ll upload it later tonight or tomorrow when I get my laptop.

Next, I wanna talk about my flights!
So the way it worked was Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport to  La Guardia in New York, then I had to catch a shuttle from La Guardia to JFK, then I flew from JFK to Lima, and now I´m in Lima waiting for my flight to Cuzco. QUE LOCO!

So the flight to La Guardia was fine: Mom, Dad, and Chelsea bid me farewell and I went and sat for an hour and twenty minutes cause the flight got delayed. When we finally boarded the plane it was seriously hotter than hell. Other than that the business man that sat next to me upgraded to first class so I got a whole two seats to myself. I read and knitted and slept.

Once at La Guardia, I had no clue where the EFF anything was so I called my mom and she helped me a little. Luckily a nice dude told me how to buy a shuttle ticket and where to wait for it to pick me up. I got on the shuttle and realized I hadn´t eaten since like...noon and it was now 9:30 so I devoured some monster mix. While feasting/taking in the city I realized there was one other older gentleman on the bus. He was on the phone talking to someone I think was his mother. When I told the shuttle driver that I needed to go to Terminal 4 at JFK, the guy was like ¨"I´ll go wherever she goes" and I was all weirded out for a bit. Then after a while he was like "I´m gonna go to the dominican republic" his Mom (I assume) answered "Why?" (again an assumption) and he said "I dunno I´ve never been there!" And I couldn´t decide if I was insanely jealous of him or felt bad for him. Because how cool would it be to just up and fly anywhere cause you can, but then if you think about it where is his fam? Anyway this is boring I feel like...

When I got to JFK I had to go to Lan Chile to check in. Everyone assumes I´m fluent in Spanish cause I look Latin American, which is pretty neat but also pretty terrifying when they try to have a conversation with you. They always catch on right away because I give them a look that resembles something like this O.O So I checked in and boarded the plain and honestly I forgot how SWEET international planes are. The seats are real nice and each chair gets a TV with a bunch of movies (All three Lord of the Rings..guess what I did for that 7 hour flight?). Not to mention the male flight attendants were hawtiez. But really, Peruvians are cute. I am sick with an annoying cold so by this time I couldnt hear out my left ear due to the pressure from the plane and sickness. So I popped some advil PM, downed some airborne and watched Lord of the Rings/slept.

Now that I´m here, here are a few things I´ve noticed about Peruvians or maybe South American´s in general. First, they take the cake for passive aggression. At the same time they´re assertive as hell. I went to a bathroom and accidentally barged in on a woman so I was waiting in line and I had three women scoot in right in front of me and snatch the stalls that had freed up. And I guess the passive aggressive part I may be exaggerating. One of the flight attendants was sassier than me and I hated to love it and loved to hate it.

Okay well I gotta go check to see the gate my flight is leaving from and go through security.

Love ya, miss ya, wanna kiss ya WINK

No comments:

Post a Comment