Saturday, January 28, 2012

Clinica San Juan de Dios

Hola!




Today, the six of us IPSL kiddos started our service-work at Hogar Clinica San Juan de Dios. It's a clinic for kids who are mentally and physically disabled. These kids have parents who either abandoned them or can't take care of them, so they live in a wing of the hospital and have nurses take care of them. I'm gonna be honest when I found out this was our service-work assignment I was less than thrilled. I never felt cut out to do the PCA type work that's out there. I'm so glad to say that I was surprised.

We kinda got thrown into it and had to fend for ourselves because the older ladies obviously didn't like us gringos too much. Well, at least that's how I felt. They didn't really give us any direction at all we just had to free ball it and hope we didn't make mistakes. We did laundry, helped with lunch & dinner, and played with the kids from 8:30am to 5:30pm. It was exhausting but so rewarding and fantastic. Plus, it's def gonna help with my Spanish!

I made many amigos today but got pictures with my two favorites: Angelito y Vessenia. Angelito corrects you if you call him Angel and he is seriously the cutest lil bug I've ever laid eyes on. He has no forearms or legs, but he is the exact definition of his name.
Angelito y yo
Vessenia played with my phone all day, listening to the radio and playing with the flashlight on it. She is sassy and laughs at me when I speak bad Spanish, which I love. At the end of the day she didn't want me to leave and I have to say I was a little sad to go.

Vessenia y yo
Anyway tonight I went out with my host mom, her 23 year old cousin, Diana(who speaks some english!). We went to a bar called London Town and listen to a band play. Literally the first thing I saw and smelt walking in was 3 dudes smoking a joint. The drink menu was amazing and I got a Laguna Azul. Deliciosa. I convinced Diana to get a Cosmopolitan. She loved it! After, we went to a non gringa discoteca and I danced my legs off. I sang my damn heart out to the only song they played in English, which was I Will Survive, and everyone laughed at me. Also, there is no trying to be as good of a dancer as a Latin American. I thought I was pretty good, and then we went to that discoteca. They just know how to work their hips! Anyway, it was a blast and my first real taste of the party life in Peru. I just like Peru better. Never coming back sorry guys! HA! But seriously...... . ... ..... .. ... .. . . .   .

No comments:

Post a Comment