Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Comida

I'm up late and bored so I figured I'd do a lil post on all my favorite foods here in Peru and fill you in a little bit on typical dishes here. In Peru, they eat a normal sized breakfast, HUGE lunch, and then dinner really late at like 9 o'clock. Well, at least my family does. They take food very very seriously and if you don't eat it all they think something is wrong or that you are unhappy. Rice is also a huge part of their diet. It isn't typical asian rice it's made with a little bit of oil and salt and garlic if you want it. SO DELICIOUS. Let us continue.

 My first and favorite is Aji de Gallina (Chicken with pepper). It's a dish made with the peruvian yellow pepper, shredded chicken, potatoes, and an olive and hard boiled egg if you want it. You make the sauce, shred the chicken..?, and cook the potatoes. Mix the sauce and the shredded chicken together, put the potatoes on the dish and pour the mixture over the potatoes and then top it off with the egg and the olive. All of this is served with rice, of course.


Second, cuy. AKA Guinea pig. They don't eat it real often here and it's pretty expensive. They eat it on special occasions. I actually have yet to try this, but my friends who have say that it isn't very good. I will try it before I leave because I can't have come to Peru and not tried Guinea Pig!


Quinua is popular in the states now. I missed that memo, but they use it here too! In a lot of stuff. I especially like their quinua soups.

NEXT is the corn. They have huuuge corn here and they call it 'choclo'. You usually order it with cheese and eat it with your fingers, picking the little kernels out one by one. It's pretty good but I got it from the street once and it made me REAL sick so I haven't really been able to eat it since.

There is also a purple corn that they use to make a drink that kids love called Chicha Morada. It's like a juice, and it doesn't taste super corn like. It's pretty good.



They also make this thing called Mazamora Morada. It's kind of like a jelly but it's warm and they give it to me when my tummy hurts. It's pretty tasty.


Ceviche is next. This is a big dish here and from what I understand it's raw fish mixed with stuff? I don't eat seafood, like, ever, so that's why I don't know that much about it. Here is a pic though.
                                             


This stuff is called Inca Cola. It tastes like bubble gum and is a very popular drink here. I like it but its VERY sweet.

Lastly, the deserts. MY FAVORITE! We'll start with alfajores. These tasty little shits are crumbly cookie type circles that have dulce de leche in between them. Topped off with powdered sugar and coconut on the sides. TO DIE FOR.

Sublimes are my favorite type of candy here. Idk if they're in other parts of the world, but they're here and they're TASTY. You can either get milk or white chocolate and it has peanuts in it. So yums.

Picarones. PICARONES. The closest thing I can relate them to is doughnuts but theyre crunchy and have a warm syrup poured over them. I could eat a thousand of these and not get tired of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment